Eliza Eats: Foodie Finds in HK

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Our first day in Hong Kong started rather late, but it was fine because we were staying in TST, where food establishments open later than usual. My siblings and I had brunch at Kam Tao Restaurant (金淘餐廳), which was only a few seconds walk from Hop Inn on Carnarvon, where we were staying.

They serve different dishes everyday. They have a menu for a particular time period in a day, so if you want a particular dish, you have to go to there depending on when they serve it. For 2:30pm-6:00pm, they serve french toast, special hot dog, special pork bun, deep fried chicken, and other yummy dishes. We ate at around 11:00am. At that time they were serving their set lunch for $40 each:

A - Grilled Pork Chop and Fried Egg served with onion gravy
B - Braised Seafood with mushrooms
C - Steamed Marinated Chicken
D - Sweet and Sour Pork
E - Braised Chicken with bean curd and salty fish

I think they also have an all-day set, but the lady that served us directed us to their lunch menu. My sister spoke to her in Mandarin, but she seemed like she was used to tourists as she sometimes conversed in basic English. Oh, and the menu is in Chinese and English so it is very easy to order.

Dichi and I ordered set E, which was Braised Chicken with bean curd and salty fish (HK$40), while the rest ordered Grilled Pork Chop and Fried Egg served with onion gravy (HK$40).



These come with soup and complimentary coffee or milk tea. It was actually a great deal. all for $40 each. For customers that prefer cold beverages, you have to pay an additional $2 for iced drinks and $4 for a coke.



The serving was huge. It was worth every cent! I felt like I ate for three people, and in the end I couldn't finish my rice. The braised chicken meal was soft and sauce-y. I didn't get to taste their grilled pork chop, but it looked good to me. The HK-style milk tea was very authentic, with the tea taste strong and distinct that I had to add two packets if sugar to make it taste all sweet, just the way I like it. The lady that served us kept smiling when she saw me taking pictures of my food before I gobbled them up.

If you are looking for a restaurant that serves Hong Kong style food, tea, and fresh bread (it's a bakery too!) in TST, then Kam Tao Restaurant is the place to go!

Kam Tao Restaurant 金淘餐廳 is located at 尖沙咀寶勒巷3號萬事昌廣場地下9號舖. Translation: Shop 9, G/F, Multifield Plaza , 3 Prat Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong. They are open everyday (Monday to Sunday) from 07:00-03:00 according to OpenRice.com ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment